Find more curated content here

Add email for marketing tips

By Peg Corwin -

Tag a Business in a Status Update on Your Facebook Business Page

Tag another business in a status update on your Facebook business page

Facebook Marketing Tip: Tag a Business in a Status Update

To be social, tag a Facebook Friend or tag a business in a Status Update on your Facebook business page.  Use the “@” symbol to let others know you have mentioned them and to strengthen ties.  See B2B and B2C examples in concluding remarks.

On Facebook for Business, we tag five businesses a week that have submitted their Facebook pages to our free Facebook Business Pages Directory.  Those featured, like Your Virtual Service Group or Oman Collective Intelligence (screenshot above), are often appreciative and responsive.

How to Tag with the @ Symbol

Of course you can mention anyone in a Status Update or comment, but if you use the @ symbol to tag them, and if you have the person or business in your network, Facebook automatically creates a hyperlink to that other identity.

To create an @ tag to a person in a Status Update, they must already be your Facebook Friend.  To tag a business in a Status Update on your Facebook business page, you or your business must have Liked their page.  You can also tag a group, place, event or app. You can also now tag in Facebook comments.

After you are sure that the person or business is in your network, type the “@” symbol in the Status Update field, and then starting typing the name of a person or Facebook business page.  That name, or possible names, should pop up for you to select from and auto-create the hyperlink.

Tag as Yourself or as Your Facebook Business Page

You can also tag another business page as your business page, not as yourself individually. (You can’t tag a Friend as a business page, but of course you can use your page as an individual and tag them on it.)  To switch to your business page, click “Account” at the top right of your page, then select “Use Facebook as Page.”  If you have multiple Facebook pages, you are given an option to “Switch” to your chosen page.

If you have Liked a business on your personal account, but not your business page, then you must find that page and Like it again as your business to tag that business.  For example, if I Like SBAgov personally, I can tag them on our Facebook for Business page if I act on my page with my personal profile.  If I switch and act as a page, I cannot tag that organization without Liking them again as my page.

If you create a tag hyperlink with @, that person or business gets an alert in an email, assuming notification settings permit. Facebook posts with tags also are displayed on the person’s or business page’s Wall.

Strategies and Examples for B2B Tagging

Why might you tag a business in a Status Update on your Facebook business page?

• To thank a business, i.e., “Thanks, @Software Vendor, for creating this great website.”
  • To promote or call attention to another business, i.e, “@Consultant is a real pro at social media marketing.”
  • To encourage your visitors to click over and check out another business page, i.e., “Look at the great deals that @Retail Store offers on their Facebook page.”
  • To congratulate a business, i.e., “Hi Fives to @Cafe for winning an award for the Best Italian Beef in OurTown.”
  • To give credit to a business, i.e., “As @Vendor explains, you don’t have to replace a window if you have this problem.”

Strategies and Examples for B2C Tagging

The strategies are the same for B2C as for B2B, but the examples are consumer-oriented.  The people tagged are customers, influencers, page Fans, supporters, referrers and even prospects.

• To thank a person, i.e., “Thanks to @John Smith for his many referrals.”
  • To promote or call attention to a person, i.e, “Wishing @John Smith and his winning soccer team a big success at the finals.”
  • To encourage your page viewers to click over and check out someone else’s page, i.e., “Awesome resource on community rezoning from @John Smith.”
  • To congratulate a person, i.e., “Hi Fives to @John Smith for winning the chamber’s Man of the Year award.”
  • To give credit to a person, i.e., “As @John Smith explains, we don’t need a new regulation on town signage.”

In summation, you tag because successful Facebook business pages focus as much on others as on their own services and products.

See also the excellent discussion of tagging etiquette from Facebook marketing pro Mari Smith.

Another Facebook Marketing Post

Tag Photos on Your Facebook Business Page

Add Twitter to Your Facebook Business Page

If you like this scoop, please consider a thumbs up or share.

20 Responses to “Tag a Business in a Status Update on Your Facebook Business Page”

1. Kim
    March 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Great reminder about posting a status update as yourself on your business page, in order to tag a friend. It can get confusing sometimes – facebook has made me question who I am more often than ever before! ;) lol

• Peg Corwin
      March 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Kim. Agree, FB is confusing. Hard even to explain it! Thanks for stopping by.

• Laurie
      July 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hello – I appreciate your information and have tried tagging other business pages that I have “Liked” from my business page. That business appears blue as a link, however
      it does not appear in that business news feed. Do you have any advice for me – is there an issue in my settings?

I appreciate your assitance.

2. Laura
    April 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’ve been tagging other businesses/Facebook pages from the page I manage for a long time. But I have still yet to successfully tag a person in a status update from my company’s Facebook page. I’ve even tried just tagging myself or the other featured administrators, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Peg Corwin
      April 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Laura,

You can’t do it if you are the admin and you are “Using Facebook as Page”, but you can tag someone if you are using your own profile on your page.

Peg

3. Jennifer
    May 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Is it possible to tag a business in a photo, so that it shows up on the business page?
    I sell items to the public, i want them to take pictures of them in the items and when they post it to their facebook they can tag me (the business)..

4. Don Davis
    May 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I am the admin for my company’s business facebook page. I have liked customers from both my account and “Using Facebook as Page”, however, I can not tag those same customers while “Using Facebook as Page”. Am I doing something wrong or is this the correct functionality? I would like to tag a customer in a status update while “Using Facebook as Page” so the status update in on the business facebook page. Is this possible?

5. hethe riot
    May 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Starting on May 12th we have NOT been able to @mention B2B. We can no longer tag other pages while using Facebook as our business page. Any ideas why this is? Facebook doesn’t hold any answers for us.

6. gusmom
    May 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Huh. I’ve been using the @ to tag other Pages and organizations for a while. Unfortunately, in the past 2 weeks, I’ve noticed that it isn’t working anymore. A couple of the tags have shown up without the @ sign (which I know is a recent change) but there are other organizations I’ve been tagging at least once a week for almost a year that are not showing up. My business relies on sharing information and therefore tagging is essential! Is there a solution to this? What is the change that FB has made? Thanks for any help you can share!

• jennifer
      May 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’m having this problem too! I am a photographer, and would like to tag a wedding venue in my business page status update. Why can’t I do this using the @ sign anymore?

• Peg Corwin
        May 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

Jennifer,

I’m sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for posting the question on tagging as a page on my blog. It is my understanding that Facebook has been fiddling with tagging, and it has been buggy. I was able to tag pages as my page over the weekend. Have you tried recently?

Peg Corwin

7. Sarah LaFave
    October 4, 2011 at 12:25 am

Thanks for the article. I was wondering if you knew if I could make it so that when someone tags my page in their status/in a post on a friend’s wall, their status/post also shows up on my place’s page? A lot of people tag my organization (my “page”) in a post to a friend, but all it does it create the hyperlink. Is there a way to make the whole post/status show up on my page? We’d look a lot more interactive if we could do that!

• Peg Corwin
      October 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

Sarah, as far as I know, page admins have no ability to make tagged content show up on their page. You might wish to suggest that to Facebook.

Peg

8. Sam Stewart
    November 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Hello, I am trying to tag some people in a post – these people ‘like’ my business page, but when I type the ‘@’ key and start to type their name it only displays ‘businesses’ or ‘companies’ with similar names to tag, not actual people… What am I doing wrong?

• Peg Corwin
      November 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Sam,

FB keeps changing the rules on us. Just tried again today, and I cannot tag individuals who like my page either.

Peg

9. Trish
    February 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I created a page two days ago… I see myself on the like list. On my personal page I want to tag my new page to let some friends know about it. I can’t. Two of my friends were able to use the @ sign and tag the page but when I try it doesn’t find it. The best I could do was post it as a link but then people are liking my post and not the link… Thanks for any insight!!
    Trish

• Trish
      February 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

… and now it seems to be working… don’t know what I did different…

• Peg Corwin
        February 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Glad it’s working, Trish.

Peg