Find more curated content here

Add email for marketing tips

By Peg Corwin -

Facebook Recommendations for Your Facebook Business Page

Facebook recommendations for your Facebook business page

What are Facebook recommendations, and how can people recommend your Facebook business page?

Facebook Recommendations Defined

Recommendations are a software options for Facebook Places.  (But some features appear on regular pages too.)  According to Facebook, “Place recommendations let you share your experiences and help your friends discover great places to visit.”

Some Facebook pages are also Facebook Places, so visitors see recommendations associated with those place pages.  For example, I found this recommendation box on the Art Institute of Chicago’s page:

Facebook page and place recommendations

The person making the recommendation has the option of making the recommendation public, or limiting it to Friends, or customizing it.  And after a recommendation is written, the writer has an option to make other Place recommendations to Friends:

Facebook page recommendations

Who Sees Facebook Recommendations?

Where are these recommendations visible, besides in the Recommendations box on the Place’s page, in the right column?  According to Facebook, “Your recommendation will show on your Wall (timeline) and in the News Feeds of people you choose to share it with.”

How Can You Get a Facebook Recommendations Box on Your Facebook Business Page?

How do you get that recommendation box on your page?  I have six Facebook pages, and those with local addresses have recommendation boxes in the right column.  I had not done anything to make them “Facebook Places.”  As a test, I took another topic page and added an address city and zip.  After a couple days, it also had a recommendation box.

In answer to the question “How do I claim a place for my business and link it to my existing business page?” Facebook responds: “If you’re the admin of a page with the same name as the place you would like to claim, please add an address to your page. Filling in the correct address to your page may expedite the claim process.”

What About Inappropriate Recommendations?

Per Facebook, the Recommend this Place box cannot be hidden.  However, you can hide individual recommendations.  Facebook says:

If you’re a page admin, you can control which public recommendations appear on your page. To hide or report a recommendation post, just hover over it and click ‘x’. You can see a full list of public recommendations for your place by clicking the See All link in the Recommendations box.

Your Take on Recommendations?

Do you have a recommendation box to the right of your page?  Are you making recommendations yourself?

If you like this scoop, please consider a thumbs up or share.

15 Responses to “Facebook Recommendations for Your Facebook Business Page”

1. October 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hi, I had the recommendations box automatically show up on my FB page for about a month and now it’s gone! Any idea how I can get it back?

Thanks!
    Taylor Morgan

• Peg Corwin
      October 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Hi Taylor,

I see you have a local address, so I’m not sure what else to suggest. My business with a local address, https://www.facebook.com/scorechicago, still has a recommendations box in the right column. Facebook may still be doing testing of this feature.

Peg Corwin

• Tammy
      February 28, 2012 at 8:59 am

Same thing happened to me. I went into edit my page information and checked the box where it says “show this on the map” and the box came back.

2. Roseann Lawson
    October 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for these help tips and keep them coming. These are useful for the not-so-technical biz person.

• Peg Corwin
      October 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm

How very nice of you to share this, Roseann. Sometimes it feels like one writes for the void.

Peg Corwin

3. October 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I don’t have a recommendation box, but would like one. Can’t really work out how to do it. I do have an address in the info, in location. As for other’s recommendatiosn, I don’t often come across them, and when I did today, it was on a new-to-me place/company. Thanks for your time. Leslie

4. Matt Brown
    January 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

How did you add the address, city, and zip? I click on “Basic Information,” and it doesn’t allow me to add an address.

• Peg Corwin
      January 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

Matt,

You may or may not see fields to show address, city and zip, depending on the template option you chose when you set up your Facebook page. Local businesses have that option, while many of the other alternatives do not. Maybe Facebook will change this in the future and allow more to add them.

Peg

5. February 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm

The recomendations that I’ve worked so hard to aquire do not appear on my new timeline page. How do I get them back?

• Ray
      March 6, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Same thing here.

6. Elaine Hehemann
    March 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Will recommendations still appear on new Facebook Timeline for Places?

I can’t find anything on this?

7. March 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Any idea how I can get this box/link placed on my website to drive people to write a recommendation for my page? It would be used in place of a like or share button.